Hirai, Baisen `Hikaku-zu`
A crane dances across a sparkling gold sky.
The crane is a bird which symbolises longevity and auspiciousness.
The crane flying across the golden sky creates a motif which represents something very auspicious.
About the artist:
Hirai, Baisen (1889-1969)
Baisen was born in Kyoto in Meiji 22 . His real name was Shuzo.
In Meiji 39  he graduated from a painting course at the Kyoto City University of the Arts, later becoming the pupil of Takeuchi Seiho.
In Meiji 40 , his works were chosen for display at the First Bunten Exhibition (an art exhibition sponsored by the Ministry of Education). After that he received prize after prize, living as a `star artist` of the Bunten Exhibitions.
Baisen led the life of a true artist, and passed away on the 30th of August, Showa 44 , at the age of 80.
His works have been displayed at exhibitions held by the Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art and the Yamaguchi Prefectural Museum of Art.
This illustration, in which a crane flies over a golden background, symbolises the auspicious, or something to celebrate. Because the crane symbolises longevity, itself something considered lucky, this artwork would be best displayed on days of celebration. Perhaps those who see this artwork on your wall will understand that you consider today a day to celebrate.
While this is a work which can be displayed on special days, it can also be exhibited on `normal` days as the scenic backdrop of a bonsai.
By displaying the work with a bonsai, one can create scenery for the crane as it flies across the sparkling gold sky.
While this artwork can be displayed on days of celebration, the crane is a `kigo` [a seasonal word in haiku] for winter, so this work can also be displayed in winter.
＊As this is a work on shikishi [high-quality paperboard], a mounting is necessary (available for purchase separately) if it is to be displayed as a hanging scroll.
Hirai, Baisen（平井楳仙）. `Hikaku-zu` [Illustration of a Flying Crane]
- Name of the artist
- Hirai, Baisen
- Hikaku-zu` [Illustration of a Flying Crane]
- 27 x 24 cm
- This artwork can be displayed in winter and in times of celebration.
There are a few marks to the artwork due to age.
*As this is a work on shikishi, a mounting is necessary (available for purchase separately) if it is to be displayed as a hanging scroll.
- Your purchased item will be shipped and delivered directly from Japan.
- our purchased item will be shipped by Japan Post (EMS). However, you can request that your product be shipped by Fedex or DHL as well.
- Your purchased item will arrive about 7-10 days after the payment transaction is complete.
- Customers will be given a product tracking number so that they can track their purchased item during delivery.
- Please contact us if you desire insurance on your purchased product.
- Large-sized items may require an additional shipping fee.
- Shipping Fee by Area:
Asia - ¥ 2,000
Oceania, North America, Central America, & the Middle East - ¥ 3,000
Europe - ¥ 3,500
South America & Africa - ¥ 4,000
- The shipping fees listed above are for Japan Post (EMS). Extra fees may change if you choose to use Fedex or DHL.
- The shipping fees listed above are estimations only. If you desire a more accurate calculation, please contact us in advance.
- The shipping fees listed above are for a single item. The fee will be doubled with the purchase of 2 products. (As the shipping fee is calculated by the weight of package)
- You can get free shipping if you purchase 3 or more items
- Attention:We ship our items from JAPAN. You may be charged fee at the custom in your country. We can not know whether your package will be charged or not, and how much it will cost. In any case, the customs duty is the recipient's responsibility.
- Payment can be made through a wire transfer or with PayPal.
- Wire Transfer Method:
Below is the necessary information to make an wire transfer.
Note: We require our customers to pay a small remittance fee.
Bank: Mitsui Sumitomo
Account Type: Regular Savings Account
Account Number: 7039838
Account Owner (name): Yamazoe Tenkodo Co., Ltd
Return & Refund Policy
- We accept returns of purchased product and offer a full refund if you contact us within 7 days of the delivery date (the date that you receive the product). However, we will require you to pay the shipping fee required to return the item.
Please pay careful attention when repackaging the artwork for return.
Any return or refund request will be denied after 8 days of the delivery date (the date that you receive the product).
- Although each of our listed artworks have been carefully examined and inspected, if an expert (academic institution or public art museum curator) deems your purchased item to be inauthentic, we will offer a full refund despite the 7 day limitation mentioned above. In order to make a claim of authenticity, please do the following:
- Inform us of who has examined the artwork as well as his or her professional opinion.
- Return the artwork. We ask of you to pay the required shipping fee for the items return.
- Once the artwork has been returned, we will give you a full refund.
About Yamazoe Tenkodo
- Tourists (both Japanese & foreign)
- People who are in need of seasonal decorations.
- Japanese as well as foreign personal art collectors.
- Researchers and academics who study Japanese art (both Japanese & foreign)
- Museum curators (both foreign & Japanese)