`Kawasemi-zu` [Painting of a Kingfisher] by Shoda Kakuyu.
By not painting any background scenery, the artist has made the kingfisher`s stunning feathers even more prominent and beautiful.
When displayed with a bonsai, one can imagine a scene in which a kingfisher flies towards a river sparkling in the summer sun.
Artist: Shoda, Kakuyu (1879-1948)
Kakuyu was a Nara Prefecture-born nihonga [Japanese style] painter. He graduated from the first public specialized art school in Japan, Kyoto City University of the Arts. After that, he became a pupil of Yamamoto Shunkyo, a master painter of the modern Kyoto art-circle.
In Showa 36 , Kakuyu was awarded an honourable mention for his work `Sho-to` [Early Winter] at the Fifth Domestic Industry-Encouragement Exhibition.
In Showa 40 , he entered the work `Umi-be` [Seaside] into the First Bunten Exhibition, and continued to enter works in Bunten exhibitions thereafter.
In Showa 43 , he became an assistant professor at the Kyoto Private Technical Painting School. As a professor, he dedicated his time to training the next generation of artists. He was particularly skilled at painting landscapes and scenery based on real places.
He died in Kyoto on April 25th, Showa 23  at the age of 68.
The kingfisher is a beautiful bird referred to as a `flying jewel` in Japanese because of the vivid colours of its feathers. The Heian Period novel `Genji Monogatari` includes the phrase `as beautiful as a kingfisher`s feathers`, thus showing that the kingfisher has been popular for its beauty from ancient times.
`Kawasemi-zu` [Painting of a Kingfisher] by Shoda Kakuyu（庄田鶴友）
- Name of the artist
- Shoda, Kakuyu (1879-1948)
- 121 × 27 cm
- color and ink painting on silk
Season in which to be displayed: Summer
Condition: There are a few spots to the face of the artwork due to age.
This artwork comes in a paulownia-wood box, with the title on the lid painted by Shoda Kakuyu himself, and with his signature on the verso.
- Your purchased item will be shipped and delivered directly from Japan.
- our purchased item will be shipped by Japan Post (EMS). However, you can request that your product be shipped by Fedex or DHL as well.
- Your purchased item will arrive about 7-10 days after the payment transaction is complete.
- Customers will be given a product tracking number so that they can track their purchased item during delivery.
- Please contact us if you desire insurance on your purchased product.
- Large-sized items may require an additional shipping fee.
- Shipping Fee by Area:
Asia - ¥ 2,000
Oceania, North America, Central America, & the Middle East - ¥ 3,000
Europe - ¥ 3,500
South America & Africa - ¥ 4,000
- The shipping fees listed above are for Japan Post (EMS). Extra fees may change if you choose to use Fedex or DHL.
- The shipping fees listed above are estimations only. If you desire a more accurate calculation, please contact us in advance.
- The shipping fees listed above are for a single item. The fee will be doubled with the purchase of 2 products. (As the shipping fee is calculated by the weight of package)
- You can get free shipping if you purchase 3 or more items
- Attention:We ship our items from JAPAN. You may be charged fee at the custom in your country. We can not know whether your package will be charged or not, and how much it will cost. In any case, the customs duty is the recipient's responsibility.
- Payment can be made through a wire transfer or with PayPal.
- Wire Transfer Method:
Below is the necessary information to make an wire transfer.
Note: We require our customers to pay a small remittance fee.
Bank: Mitsui Sumitomo
Account Type: Regular Savings Account
Account Number: 7039838
Account Owner (name): Yamazoe Tenkodo Co., Ltd
Return & Refund Policy
- We accept returns of purchased product and offer a full refund if you contact us within 7 days of the delivery date (the date that you receive the product). However, we will require you to pay the shipping fee required to return the item.
Please pay careful attention when repackaging the artwork for return.
Any return or refund request will be denied after 8 days of the delivery date (the date that you receive the product).
- Although each of our listed artworks have been carefully examined and inspected, if an expert (academic institution or public art museum curator) deems your purchased item to be inauthentic, we will offer a full refund despite the 7 day limitation mentioned above. In order to make a claim of authenticity, please do the following:
- Inform us of who has examined the artwork as well as his or her professional opinion.
- Return the artwork. We ask of you to pay the required shipping fee for the items return.
- Once the artwork has been returned, we will give you a full refund.
About Yamazoe Tenkodo
- Tourists (both Japanese & foreign)
- People who are in need of seasonal decorations.
- Japanese as well as foreign personal art collectors.
- Researchers and academics who study Japanese art (both Japanese & foreign)
- Museum curators (both foreign & Japanese)